Present Perfect vs. Past Simple

Hello!
In this post I want to comment on the contrast between the Present Perfect and the Past Simple. Both verb tenses describe actions that took place in the past, even though there are very key differences:

Past Simple:

- Completed action that happened at a completed, defined time in the past:
   Yesterday I went to the cinema with my friends. (We know the time when it happened and the action is over)
   This morning I had a very tense meeting with the headmaster. (It's in the afternoon, the morning is over)

- Action that was developed and finalised in the past, without any information about its impact on the present:
    I played tennis when I was young.  (It gives no information whether I'm currently playing tennis or not) 
  My brother broke his glasses. (We don't know if the glasses are fixed already)

- Continuation in a series of past events, giving information and details:
    Last Friday Peter fell off his horse while riding in his estate. One of his servants saw him on the ground, faint, and called an ambulance...

- Keywords: when, ago, how long ago, last... (+time), in/at/on... (+time).

Present Perfect:

- Action that started in the past and still continues to develop in the present:
    I have worked in this bank for ten years. (I'm still working in this bank)
    I've played tennis since I was young. (I'm still playing tennis nowadays)

- Action just completed:
    I have missed my train.  (I just missed it now)
   John has painted the garden bench.  (He painted it recently)

- Action that has developed over a period of time that has not yet ended:
    This morning I've had a very tense meeting with the headmaster. (It's still in the morning)
    Today we have visited my parents. (the day is not yet over)  

- A past action affecting the present:
    My brother has broken his glasses. (The glasses were broken recently and are still broken)
    I've known Peter since I was a boy. (I first met Peter when I was a boy and, as a result, I know him now)

- Introduction in a series of past events, giving news, to tell people about new things that have happened:
    John has had an accident.
    The Popular Party has won the national elections.
 

- Keywords: how long, since, for, just, already, yet, still, ever, never.

Look at the following examples and check the grammar:
A: How long have you studied English?
B: I've studied it since I was five.

A: When did you start studying English?
B: I started studying English when I was five.

A: How long ago did you start studying English?
B: I started studying it ten years ago.

Finally, note that sometimes the differences between these two tenses are not very clear, and indeed in some cases any of them could be used. 

In American English, Past Simple is preferred to Present Perfect. So American English speakers do not use the present perfect for events that are still connected to the present; they even use Past Simple with expressions such as yet, already or just (cf. Present Perfect Simple post) clearly associated with Present Perfect in British English.


¡Hola!
En este post quiero comentar sobre el contraste entre el presente perfecto y el pasado simple. Ambos tiempos verbales describen acciones que tuvieron lugar en el pasado, si bien hay diferencias muy importantes entre ambos:

Past Simple: 

- Acción que se desarrolló y completó en un periodo de tiempo ya finalizado:
    Yesterday I went to the cinema with my friends. (Sabemos cuándo ocurrió y que la acción está ya terminada)
   This morning I had a very tense meeting with the headmaster. (Es por la tarde, ya terminó la mañana)

- Acción que se desarrolló y finalizó en el pasado, sin que se de ninguna información sobre cual ha sido su  repercusión en el tiempo presente:
  I played tennis when I was young.  (No da información sobre si sigo jugando al fútbol actualmente o no)
  My brother broke his glasses. (No sabemos si las gafas están ya arregladas)

- Continuación en la narración de hechos del pasado, dando información y detalles:
    Last Friday Peter fell off his horse while riding in his estate. One of his servants saw him on the ground, faint, and called an ambulance...

- Palabras clave: when, ago, how long ago, last... (+tiempo), in/at/on... (+fecha u hora).


Present Perfect:
  
- Acción que se inició en el pasado y que aún continúa desarrollándose.
    I have worked in this bank for ten years. (Todavía trabajo en el mismo banco)
    I've played tennis since I was young. (Sigo jugando al tenis en la actualidad)

- Acción que acaba de finalizar:
    I have missed my train.  (acabo de perderlo ahora mismo)
    John has painted the garden bench.  (Juan acaba de pintar el banco hace muy poquito)

- Acción que se ha desarrollado en un periodo de tiempo que aún no ha terminado.
    This morning I've had a very tense meeting with the headmaster. (Seguimos todavía en la mañana)
    Today we have visited my parents. (el día no se ha acabado aún) 

- Introducción a una serie de hechos pasados, dando noticias, para contar a otros cosas nuevas ocurridas:

    John has had an accident.
    The Popular Party has won the national elections.

- Palabras clave: how long, since, for, just, already, yet, still, ever, never.

Echa un vistazo a estos ejemplos y observa la gramática:
A: How long have you studied English?
B: I've studied it since I was five.

A: When did you start studying English?
B: I started studying English when I was five.

A: How long ago did you start studying English?
B: I started studying it ten years ago.

Por último, ten en cuenta que a veces las diferencias entre estos dos tiempos no son muy claras, y de hecho en algunos casos, cualquiera de ellos podría ser utilizado.

En Inglés Americano, el pasado simple se prefiere al presente perfecto. Por lo tanto los americanos no utilizan el presente perfecto para los acontecimientos que todavía están conectados al presente; incluso usan el pasado simple con expresiones como, already, yet o just (ver el artículo sobre Present Perfect Simple), relacionados claramente con el presente perfecto en Inglés Británico.

For practice: Exercise1, Exercise2, Exercise3, Exercise4.

No comments:

Post a Comment