Functional English: Disagreeing

Hi you!
Here you'll find all about expressions you can use when you want to tell someone that you disagree with them (you think what they are saying is wrong).

Useful vocabulary for disagreeing:

No (usually followed by a statement) --> No, I don't think that's not a good idea.
I don't agree --> I don't agree with you. That's not what happened.
That's not true (quite direct) -->  That's not true. She didn't call me yesterday.
I don't accept that (quite formal) --> I don't accept that!  I was in hospital when they phoned you.

The following expressions are very strong ways of saying you disagree - unless said as a joke, they usually sound quite aggressive, so be careful about using them! They can be made stronger with adjectives like total, complete, definite, absolute, etc.
That's total rubbish!  --> That's total rubbish! You can't assure I said that!
That's absolute nonsense! --> That's absolute nonsense! You don't know what you're saying!
That's complete tomfoolery! --> That's complete tomfoolery! I didn't break the glass!


These expressions are often used to interrupt and disagree with what someone has just said:
Hold on! --> Hold on! I didn't give the dummy to the baby!
Hold your horses!  --> Hold your horses! I don't think that's what she told you.
Hang on a minute! --> Hold on a minute! That's not what I did at all.

These ones are structures you can use when you agree with part of something that's been said, but disagree with other parts, or want to bring in a contrasting idea:
Although it's true / fair to say that... --> Although it's fair to say that he's intelligent, I don't think he 
                                                                works well in a team.
While I agree that... -->  While I agree that we should leave soon, I think we should finish this work 
                                       first.

¡Hola!
Aquí vais a encontrar todo lo relacionado con expresiones que podéis usar cuando queráis decirle a alguien que estáis en desacuerdo con él (creéis que lo que está diciendo es erróneo)

Vocabulario útil para discrepar:

No (seguido de un enunciado) --> No, I don't think that's not a good idea.  
                                                                 [No, no creo que sea buena idea]

I don't agree --> I don't agree with you. That's not what happened.  
                                    [No estoy de acuerdo contigo. Eso no es lo que pasó]

That's not true (bastante directo) -->  That's not true. She didn't call me yesterday.   
                                                                            [Eso no es cierto. Anoche no me llamó]

I don't accept that (bastante formal) --> I don't accept that!  I was in hospital when they phoned you.
                                                           Eso no lo acepto! Estaba en el hospital cuando te llamaron]


Las expresiones siguientes son formas muy fuertes de decir que discrepas -a menos que se digan de broma, suelen sonar bastante agresivas, así que cuidado al usarlas. Pueden reforzarse mediante adjetivos como total, complete, definite, absolute, etc.
That's total rubbish!  --> That's total rubbish! You can't assure I said that!
                                                     [¡Eso es una cagada total! ¡No puedes asegurar que yo lo dije!]
That's absolute nonsense! --> That's absolute nonsense! You don't know what you're saying!
                                               Eso es una absoluta tontería] No sabes lo que dices]
That's complete tomfoolery! --> That's complete tomfoolery! I didn't break the glass!
                                                    Eso son pamplinas! ¡Yo no rompí el cristal!]
 

Estas expresiones suelen usarse para interrumpir y discrepar con lo que alguien acaba de decir:
Hold on! --> Hold on! I didn't give the dummy to the baby!
                     Quieto! ¡Yo no le di el pipo al niño!]
Hold your horses!  --> Hold your horses! I don't think that's what she told you.
                                      [¡Para el carro! Creo que eso no es lo que ella te contó]
 Hang on a minute! --> Hold on a minute! That's not what I did at all.
                                      Espera un momento! Eso no es lo que yo hice en absoluto]
 
Estas son estructuras que podéis usar cuando estás de acuerdo con parte de algo que ha sido dicho, pero que estáis en desacuerdo con otras partes, o queréis introducir una idea opuesta:
Although it's true / fair to say that... --> Although it's fair to say that he's intelligent, I don't think he 
                                                                works well in a team. 
                                               [A pesar de que es justo decir que es inteligente, no creo que trabaje bien en equipo]
 
While I agree that... -->  While I agree that we should leave soon, I think we should finish this work 
                                       first.
            [Aunque estoy de acuerdo en que deberíamos irnos pronto, creo que deberíamos terminar primero este trabajo]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment