Functional English: Making a Point

Hello!
In this post, you'll find out about expressions you can use when you're having a discussion or disagreement with someone and you want to make a point, that is, make a statement or tell them what you think about something. 

- Expressing opinion:  
I think (that)...   --> I think we shoud go now.
My view is (that)... --> My view is that the project will fail.
In my view, ... -->  In my view, nobody can pass that exam.
In my opinion, ... -->  In my opinion, the firm can succeed.
From my point of view, ... --> From my point of view, you're not quite right.

- Persuading:
I can assure you (that)...  -->  I can assure you that we've done everything we can.
You can bet (that)...  --> You can bet they will be apprehended. 
I promise (that)...  --> I promise that she had finished all her homework before she left.
I can guarantee you (that)...  --> I can guarantee you the project will be ready on Friday. 

- Making a statement: 
The fact is (that)...  --> The fact is that he's a great performer.
The point is (that)... --> The point is, we don't know if they're being honest.

- Other expressions:
 Look, ...  (*may be aggressive!!) --> Look, everyone thinks it's a bad idea.
You're missing the point... (*may be rude!!) --> You're missing the point - this is not about pay, it's about 
                                                                        conditions.



Hola, 
En este post os informaréis sobre las expresiones que podéis utilizar cuando estáis discutiendo o tengáis un desacuerdo con alguien y queráis decir algo importante, es decir, decir lo que pensáis acerca de algo. 


- Opinando:  
I think (that)...   --> I think we shoud go now. [Creo que deberíamos irnos ahora]
My view is (that)... --> My view is that the project will fail. [Me parece que el proyecto va a fracasar]
In my view, ... --> In my view, nobody can pass that exam.  [A mi parecer, nadie puede aprobar ese examen]
In my opinion, ... -->  In my opinion, the firm can succeed. [En mi opinión, la compañía puede tener éxito]
From my point of view, ... --> From my point of view, you're not quite right. [Desde mi punto de vista, no 
                                                                                                                                                                                   tienes mucha razón]


- Convenciendo:
I can assure you (that)...  -->  I can assure you that we've done everything we can. [Le puedo asegurar 
                                                                                                                                            que hemos hecho todo lo que podemos]
You can bet (that)...  --> You can bet they will be apprehended. [Puede apostar a que los cogerán]
I promise (that)...  --> I promise that she had finished all her homework before she left. [Te prometo que  
                                                                                                                  había terminado todos los deberes antes de que se fuera]
I can guarantee you (that)...  --> I can guarantee you the project will be ready on Friday. [Le garantizo 
                                                                                                                                         que el proyecto esta´ra listo para el viernes]

- Afirmando: 
The fact is (that)...  --> The fact is that he's a great performer.  [El hecho es que él es un gran intérprete]
The point is (that)... --> The point is, we don't know if they're being honest. [El caso es que no sabemos 
                                                                                                                                                                       si están siendo sinceros]

- Otras expresiones:
 Look, ...  (* puede ser agresivo) --> Look, everyone thinks it's a bad idea.  
                                                                        [Mira, todos piensan que es una mala idea]
You're missing the point... (* puede ser maleducado) --> You're missing the point - this is not about pay, 
                                                                                                                it's about conditions.
                                                               [No estás entendiendo - no se trata de sueldo, se trata de condiciones]
  

No comments:

Post a Comment